The principal goal of the workshop is to strengthen Environmental Compliance and Environmentally Sound Design and Management (ESDM) of USAID‐funded activities throughout West Africa by assuring that participants have the motivation, knowledge, and skills necessary to achieve environmental compliance and improve project sustainability. To achieve this goal, the workshop aims to accomplish the following specific objectives:
- Increase skills and capacity of USAID and implementing partner professionals to incorporate environmentally sound design, management and best practice into all USAID‐supported projects.
- Strengthen the knowledge of participants on environmental compliance requirements set forth by 22 CFR 216 (Reg. 216), including documentation and the implementation of environmental procedures throughout the life‐of‐project.
- Facilitate collaboration between Implementing partners, USAID staff and local partners, by promoting networking, exchange of ideas, lessons learned and tested technical solutions.
Summary of Key Activities:
- Day 1: Overview of Environmentally Sound Design and Management (ESDM) principles, USAID environmental compliance regulations and procedures and skill‐building in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).
- Day 2: Explain and practice USAID environmental compliance procedures and discuss environmental mitigation and monitoring for project activities.
- Day 3: Prepare for and complete field visit exercise Iexisting conditions, environmental impact identification and environmental mitigation planning.
- Day 4: Complete field visit exercise IIenvironmental monitoring.
- Day 5: Synthesize workshop proceedings and consider professional and organizational next steps.
Workshop Materials and Resources
The materials listed below are the materials that will be used and distributed. Additional materials may be added to the workshop homepage as they become available.
- Agenda (PDF 190 KB)
- Sourcebook (PDF 513 KB)
- Native PowerPoint Presentations (Zip 57 MB)
- Workshop Google Site
Session 1: Workshop Objectives and Logistics; Participant Introduction and Expectations
Session 2: Environmental Considerations Toward sustainable future
- Session Summary (PDF 133 KB)
Session 3: Fundamental Skills of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Session Summary (PDF 175 KB)
- Fundamental Skills of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) (PDF 377 KB)
Session 4: Introduction to USAID environmental procedures – Reg. 216 and the Initial Environmental Examination (IEE)
- Session Summary (PDF 176 KB)
- EIA and “USAID Environmental Procedures”: the Initial Environmental Examination (IEE) and Beyond (PDF 514 KB)
Session 5: EIA Skill‐Building Exercise Briefing to the Transect Walk
Session 6: Special Topic: Planning for Climate Change in the West African Context
Session 7: Mitigation and environmental monitoring techniques
Session 8: The Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP)
- Session Summary (PDF 141 KB)
- Environmental Mitigation & Monitoring Plans (PDF 1 MB)
- EMMP Factsheet (PDF 297 KB)
- EMMP Template (PDF 81 KB)
Session 9: Recommended Best Practice for EMMP Development, Application, Monitoring and Evaluation
Session 10: Special Topic: The Use of Pesticides and the PERSUAP
- Session Summary (PDF 136 KB)
- Special Topic: What is a Pest? What is a Pesticide? What are the Risks of Pesticides? and What is USAID’s Response? (PDF 745 KB)
Session 11: Introduction to the USAID Sector Environmental Guidelines + Similar Resources
- Session Summary (PDF 182 KB)
- Environmental Compliance: Language for Use (PDF 208 KB)
- GEMS Factsheet (PDF 334 KB)
- Beat the Clock Game:Sector Environmental Guidelines (PDF 208 KB)
- ENCAP Factsheet: Environmental Compliance: Language for Use in Solicitations and Awards (ECL) (PDF 213 KB)
Session 12: Environmental Assessment (EA) process
Session 13: EMMP Skill‐ Building Exercise and Field visit
Session 14: EMMP Skill‐Building Exercise
- Session Summary (PDF 147 KB)
Session 15: EMMP Skill‐Building Exercise
Session 16: Roles, Responsibilities & Resources
- Session Summary (PDF 121 KB)
- Roles, Responsibilities, and Resources (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Regional Environmental Trends: West Africa (PDF 624KB)
Session 17: Parking Lot Session
- Session Summary (PDF 104 KB)
Session 18: Priority actions for the future
- Session Summary (PDF 242 KB)