The workshop will identify, document and prepare for dissemination, concrete crop-specific CSA-BMPs for USAID-supported agricultural and food security projects in the LAC Region. The workshop will be a forum for professional exchange among experts and key stakeholders. Participants will share, define, and document best management practices that focus on adaptation and risk reduction of climate change impacts on agriculture production. The objectives are:
- Strengthen the sustainability of agriculture activities by identifying Climate Smart Agriculture Best Management Practices (CSA-BMPs) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) measures, including the identification of crop-specific BMPs and Global Climate Change (GCC) issues in the LAC region. The identification, documentation and diffusion of these measures will be used to improve adaptive capacity, mitigate climate change, and increase productivity (3 wins) within USAID-supported agricultural and food security programs in the LAC Region, and eventually worldwide.
- Enhance collaboration, networking, and knowledge exchange of CSA-BMPs and other technical solutions for regional agricultural challenges, particularly as relevant to CCA, with a focus on successful case studies.
- Develop technology transfer strategies, including web-based and other tools, to promote continued collaboration, networking and exchange of ideas among workshop participants, and potentially among all Missions and IPs. A CSA-BMPs field guide will also be developed as part of a second phase of this effort that will promote climate smart agriculture diffusion of innovation among Missions and IPs alike.
This workshop will be guided by an agenda that consists of the following key elements:
- Global Climate Change (GCC) and its impacts on the region
- Overview of USAID Feed the Future program and other relevant projects in the region
- Panel Discussion on Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA) - Food Security, Agriculture, and GCC
- Value-chain linkages in the context of CSA
- Adaptation, Mitigation, and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) measures in the context of CSA
- Outcomes from the 2013 Best Agricultural Management Practices workshop in the DR
- Field visit and Group Exercise 1: Barrio Nuevo
- Field visit and Group Exercise 2: Mejocote
- Integrated systems in the context of GCC - Focus on Agroforestry and Livestock
- Water management in the context of GCC
- Soils management in the context of GCC
- Integrated Crop Management/Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in the context of GCC
- Emissions reduction/GCC mitigation through BMPs
- Panel Discussion on Mainstreaming CSA in National Policies and Programs
- Monitoring and Evaluation of CSA-BMPs
- Knowledge Development and Transfer of CSA-BMPs to the field