The overall goal of the workshop was to strengthen environmentally sound design and management of USAID funded activities in Kenya and throughout East Africa by assuring that participants have the motivation, knowledge, and skills necessary to: (1) achieve environmental compliance in project implementation; and (2) otherwise integrate environmental considerations in activity design and management to improve overall project acceptance and sustainability.
- Day 1 Overview of Environmentally Sound Design and Management (ESDM) and skill-building in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), including field visit.
- Day 2 Explain USAID Environmental Procedures and discuss mitigation and monitoring of project activities.
- Day 3 Complete site visits and small-group collaboration for preparation of mitigation and monitoring plans.
- Day 4 Small groups present field work results; address Special Topics in ESDM.
- Day 5 Synthesize workshop proceedings and skill-building; consider professional and organizational next steps.
The materials listed below are the materials that were used and distributed. Additional materials will be added as they become available.
13-17 June 2016
20−24 June 2016
Native Files (PowerPoint & Word versions of the below PDFs for each session)
- Zip PDF (102 MB)
Session 1. Workshop Objectives and Logistics; Participant Introductions and Expectations
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (123 KB)
Sessions 2a & 2b. Environmentally Sound Design & Management (ESDM) as a Foundation for Environmental Compliance
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (25 KB)
- Environmentally Sound Design & Management: A Foundation for Environmental Compliance PDF (1 MB)
- Environmental, Social and Cultural Issues Affecting ESDM In the East Africa Region and Kenya PDF (1.5 MB)
Session 3. Fundamental Skills of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (125 KB)
- Fundamental Skills of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) PDF (1 MB)
Session 4. Skill-Building in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (104 KB)
Session 5. Environmental Impact Assessment and USAID Environmental Procedures: the Initial Environmental Examination (IEE) and Beyond
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (432 KB)
- EIA and “USAID Environmental Procedures”: the Initial Environmental Examination (IEE) and Beyond PDF (132 KB)
Session 6. Principles of Environmental Monitoring
Session 7. The Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP)
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (118 KB)
- Environmental Mitigation & Monitoring Plans (EMMPs) PDF (997 KB)
- ENCAP Factsheet: Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plans (EMMPs) PDF (297 KB)
- Basic EMMP Template PDF (90 KB)
Session 8. Introduction to the USAID Sector Environmental Guidelines (SEGs) and Related Resources
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (112 KB)
- Implementing Mechanism Factsheet: Global Environmental Management Support (GEMS II) PDF (346 KB)
Session 9. EMMP Skill-Building Exercise
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (126 KB)
Session 10. Environmental Compliance Reporting
Session 11. Special Topic: WASH & Water Supply Activities
Session 12. Special Topic: Pesticide Use in USAID Activities
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (87 KB)
- Special Topic: Pesticide Use in USAID Activities PDF (382 KB)
- Special Topic: What is a Pest? What is a Pesticide? What are the Risks of Pesticides?. . . and What is USAID’s Response? PDF (2 MB)
Session 13. Special Topic: Environmental Compliance for Sub-Projects and Sub-Awards
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (116 KB)
- Special Topic: Environmental Compliance for Sub-Projects and Sub-Awards PDF (779 KB)
- Note to USAID Staff, Consultants & Partners Regarding the: Africa Bureau ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW FORM & INSTRUCTIONS PDF (349 KB)
Session 14. Special Topic: ESDM for Construction Activities
Session 15. Environmental Compliance/ESDM Knowledge Game
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (127 KB)
Session 17. Roles, Responsibilities and Resources
Session 18. Resolving the “Parking Lot”: Final General Q&A Session
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (103 KB)
Session 19. Environmental Priorities for USAID Activities in Kenya & East Africa + Bringing Curricula to Reality
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (231 KB)