USAID/Rwanda is pleased to offer this participatory training workshop in environmental compliance and environmentally sound design and management (ESDM) in project implementation.
Significant time will be allocated to field work, analysis and discussion to put “classroom skills” into practice, as well as to peer exchange and learning. The workshop will focus on environmental compliance and best practices as they relate to key elements of the USAID/Rwanda portfolio, including health and agriculture sector activities. The core practical exercise will build participant skills in the preparation and implementation of project-specific Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plans (EMMPs).
USAID’s mandatory environmental procedures (22 CFR 216 and associated directives) are USAID’s principal mechanism to ensure ESDM of development activities—and thus to prevent our activities from having significant, unforeseen, avoidable or mitigable adverse impacts on critical environmental resources, ecosystems, human health and livelihoods. They strengthen development outcomes and help safeguard the good name and reputation of the Agency.
The materials listed below are the materials used and distributed at the workshop.
Session 1: Workshop Objectives and Logistics; Participant Introductions
- Chapter Excerpt PDF 116 KB)
Session 2: Environmentally Sound Design & Management (ESDM) as a Foundation for Environmental Compliance
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (89 KB)
- Environmentally Sound Design & Management: a Foundation for Environmental Compliance PDF (986 KB)
Session 3: ESDM and Environmental Compliance in Rwanda: A Regulatory Perspective/ The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Process in Rwanda
Session 4: Fundamental Skills of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (118 KB)
- Fundamental Skills of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) PDF (778 KB)
Session 5: EIA in Action: From the IEE to Implementation
Session 6: Environmental Impact Assessment and “USAID Environmental Procedures”: the Initial Environmental Examination (IEE) and Beyond
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (126 KB)
- EIA and “USAID Environmental Procedures”: the initial Environmental Examination (IEE) and Beyond PDF (476 KB)
Session 7: Principles of Environmental Monitoring
Session 8: The Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP)
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (113 KB)
- Environmental Mitigation & Monitoring Plans (EMMPs) PDF (1 MB)
- ENCAP EMMP Factsheet PDF (277 KB)
- Environmental Compliance: Language for Use in Solicitations and Awards PDF (85 KB)
Session 9: Environmental Compliance Reporting
Session 10: Field-based EMMP Exercise
- Field-Based EMMP Exercise Presentation PDF (105 KB)
- Field-Based EMMP Exercise—Sample EMMP (health) PDF (68 KB)
- Field-Based EMMP Exercise—Sample EMMP (ag.) PDF (69 KB)
Session 11: Special Topic A—Environmental Compliance for Regional or Centrally Funded Activities
Session 12: Special Topic B—Environmental Compliance for Certain Higher Risk Interventions
Session 13: Roles, Responsibilities & Resources
Session 14: Question and Answer session with USAID/Washington and “Parking Lot”
- Chapter Excerpt PDF (81 KB)